Friday, July 22, 2011

how do you spell????

I have noticed since I came back to the United States from the United Kingdom, that my spelling has made a major change.  Well really, this all came about from living there for three years and practicing a new language. Like that word I just used! PRACTICE, in the UK is it spelled practise. And I did spell it the way they do in the UK the first time, but I changed it after my laptop recognized it as misspelled. Yes, everyone in England speaks English. In Scotland, a few speak Scottish Gaelic, but really they speak English as well, Wales, some Welsh, but mainly, English. But the spelling is different in many cases and the terms for things is quite different. I will get into that another time. So if you catch me writing colour or visualise, please know that is just a oversight. I guess I got used to writing as they do there. I will try to spell as I originally learned to do from now on, and look out for the misspellings on the computer. It indicates that I have 3 right now. I have attached a link to this lovely photograph of Derbyshire.  It will explain better than I can about these differences. 

No comments: