Friday, July 29, 2011

getting your greens












I try and try and really try to get some greens, (any vegetables), into my meals that I serve up for my little men, and it is a struggle that really can turn meals into a unhappy time. I have learned that this should not be a place where we argue, food issues worry me. We insist that our kids always try what is on their plate, they have to at least taste what I prepare, but they are never forced to eat something that they don't like. SO, how do we get the green into their diet when they do not like eating green fooods. I sneak it! Here is an example of how I get the job done. I even managed to throw in some flax seed! I have a few other methods, but this is one that works great thus far, no complaints.  I really think another good tip is to expose them to foods that are bright in all colors, especially green on their plates  and to do this consistently, even if you know they won't eat it. It is just a good practice to show them what you eat and eventually they do like it. I am proud to say it worked with all my daughters. They love their vegetables!!!

5 comments:

christinerojas said...

that looks delicious! but what is that... ice cream, sorbet?

Mia S. Hinchey said...

Well, yes, it is somewhat naughty I guess, It is Sherbet. I helped a friend at a charity event once. We had a food truck at a park, and we were serving up smoothies. While the smoothies had a lot of really good healthy ingredients, it also had some sugary sherbet and that was how they made them at their smoothie shop. ,so I hope you did not think me disingenuous, sneaking vegetables into their diet,,sometimes takes "a spoonful of sugar" to help. And they are yummy

Kimia Kline said...

yummm :) i love jessica seinfelds cookbook as well. have you seen it? she has all these great brownie recipes and stuff with spinach and zuccini mixed in!

The one with those 'Starry Eyes'. said...

I tasted these and they were amazing. I could have one every morning!

Collins @ Life. Mostly Sweet. said...

nice! i love the odwalla drinks. green goodness is the bomb! i am going to have to tell my friend about this b/c her kids would definitely drinks smoothies but they never eat veggies.