Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Family BBQ: Beer Bratwurst & Football














Brats simmering in beer, boys is the backyard playing football, Dad is lighting up the BBQ, the girls setting the table and washing the arugula, all doing their part to preparing for a fun family dinner together. Everyones laughing and having a good time time together. Football season is coming and what goes better with football than Bratwurst.

I was first exposed to this beer soaked deliciousness at a friends pub in Los Angeles. My husband and I were dating at the time, and were invited to watch football in which the Green Bay Packers were playing someone else, here I go, admitting it, I cannot remember. In Wisconsin, football and Bratwurst go together very much as a tradition, something I learned that day. They love their packers and they love their Brats. I did not watch football all that much, but this was going to be a date out with my boyfriend with beer and brats, sounded like a good time. I was not at all disappointed. 

How do you make these yourself?  First, get your bbq hot and ready. The pork brat sausages need to cook in simmering hot, not boiling, cheap beer for at least 10 minutes. Leave them soaking in the hot simmering liquid, and bring them to over to the grille. After they had a nice sizzle over the hot coals, serve them up with warm crusty and crunchy rolls. A must is to have hot spicy mustard on hand, and cold tangy sauerkraut to pile up on top. The combo of the hot and spicy, cold and sour, sweet brats with the crusty rolls is really delicious. Served up with potato salad, arugula salad too, and ice cold beer in frosty mugs. Yummy. Ready for the game!





4 comments:

Collins @ Life. Mostly Sweet. said...

Yep, perfect for football. That looks so yummy!
I've never cooked them myself but always get them when they are served at a farmers market or festival. :)

Al said...

oh my gosh so fun! we might need to copy you and have some California Brats for football!!

Mia S. Hinchey said...

Yes, you do, they are so yummy really and they are perfect for a day or night of Football

Rick Watson said...

Is there anything better than bratwurst? Well, maybe a vine-ripe tomato sandwich....but then, I'd bet bratwurst sliced thin would make the sandwich even better. :)