Monday, November 10, 2014

Wood type and letterpress



When I lived in England I bought some old wood type letters that I found on Ebay. I believe the seller was from Sheffield. I had to have them. I did not know why really, but I was not going to allow anyone to outbid me for these, they would be mine. AND, when we were headed back to live again in US, getting the moving boxes packed with the assistance of a crew of many handy helpful men, my husband asked why we had spent money for a huge box of inky old stinky heavy wooden letters and I could not articulate anything better than "I wanted them?" Well, I have finally had an epiphany and connected the dots. 

I love everything paper, always have. Inks and paints and pens and brushes. Letters and flourishes and swashes. I have discovered recently how to incorporate my painting and drawing background and combine it with Type. I guess you could say it is my new found passion. 

So for now these lovely little antiques are for my inspiration and my collection. I am currently designing stationary utilizing digital and hand created letters and I am also creating hand lettered art pieces. The next step is to market what I am creating. I adore these little pieces of history and want to work with them and bring them back to life by letting them touch ink again. 

No comments: